Hi,

Roman Cheplyaka wrote:
It still seems to fit nicely into Safe Haskell. If you are the
implementor of an abstract type, you can do whatever you want in the Eq
instance, declare your module as Trustworthy, and thus take the
responsibility for soundness of that instance w.r.t. your public API.

A possible problem with marking "instance Eq" as an unsafe feature is that many modules would be only Trustworthy instead of Safe. So if I don't trust the authors of a module (because I don't know them), I cannot safely use their code just because they implement their own Eq instance?

That would go against my "every purely functional module is automatically safe because the compiler checks that it cannot launch the missiles" understanding of Safe Haskell.

Actually, Eq instances are not unsafe per se, but only if I also use some other module that assumes certain properties about all Eq instances in scope. So in order to check safety, two independent modules (the provider and the consumer of the Eq instance) would have to cooperate.

  Tillmann