I only lock around the connectTo to avoid the gethostbyname issue. After that I set up two memory BIOs and hook them to go through a handshake. Encryption is done through the BIOs afterwards since I need to wrap the encrypted data in a header of my own (don't ask).

I haven't had a problem with this so far but I might have just been lucky. I will put some locks around.