John Meacham wrote:
Even though I know this to be true, whenever I encounter a form like
this on the web I just immediatly press 'back' unless I am specifically
looking for what I know is behind it. It is not for any particular
ideological reasons, it is just my default action and I think it is for
many other people too. In particular, I would immediatly just go to the
next tutorial on the list when presented with such a page. I can't
really defend it with any particular reasoning, I am just saying it how
it is.

At a minimum, there are usability reasons why the vast majority of people will tend to do that exactly. I don't have the reference on me right now, but I read this in a usability book called "Don't make me Think" :) It's very good.

The case becomes even stronger when the particular form is asking you for something you might consider personal information. My first reaction is that it's none of their business and makes me want to go elsewhere.

Cheers,
Daniel.
--
     /\/`) http://oooauthors.org