Hi all,

I'm a Haskell newbie and I don't really understand how Haskell deals with functions that really must have side-effects. Like a rand() function or getLine().

I know this has something to do with monads, but I don't really understand monads yet. Is there someone who might explain this in newbie terms? I don't need to understand the whole thing, I don't need a rand() function right this minute. I just want to understand how Haskell separates purely functional code from non-functional code (I understand that a rand() function is inevitably not functional code, right?)

Cheers,
Daniel.
--
     /\/`) http://oooauthors.org