Sebastian Sylvan wrote:
Beginners know that too. In fact, they often think that practical
applications need far more IO than they really do! So to insinuate
even slightly that Haskell is "bad at IO" by avoiding it for two
thirds of a book, is really going to inforce the idea that Haskell
isn't a practical language for practical applications.
It's easily remedied by teaching them a little IO up front (to show
them it's not scary), and then leaving it alone for a while, having a
more thorugough treatment of it later on.

You can show them this on the first page:

main = do
        x <- getLine()
        print my_program(x)

And spend the next 200 pages showing them all the nifty things and purely functional things that my_program() could do and not mention monads until chapter 14.

Cheers,
Daniel.
--
     /\/`) http://oooauthors.org