From: Joel Reymont <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Bulat Ziganshin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
CC: Peter Simons <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, haskell-cafe@haskell.org
Subject: [Haskell-cafe] Haskell vs. Erlang for heavy-duty network apps (wasRe: Haskell Speed)
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 12:20:38 +0000

On Dec 25, 2005, at 10:13 AM, Bulat Ziganshin wrote:

Hello Joel,
[...]
so i think that your problems is due to bad design decisions caused by
lack of experience. two weeks ago when you skipped my suggestions
about improving this design and answered that you will use "systematic
approach", i foresee that you will fail and say that Haskell is a bad
language

Yes and no. The systematic approach that I used was profiling the serialization code and tweaking all that I could. I saved my profiling reports after each run and tracked the changes that I made. I will blog about it after Simon M. comes back and suggests how to squeeze the last bit out of it.

Regardless of this, it looks to me like I could easily have around 4Mb of network traffic per second with about 4k threads and complicated nested structures to serialize and deserialize. Trying to tackle far less data suggests to me that it's not gonna happen. So I will try to take this as far as I can in Haskell, once I have the heavy artillery to back me up. If the results are good then I will use them in later applications of the same nature but in the meantime I'm rewriting this particular app in Erlang.

Sounds familiar ?:)
http://www.jetcafe.org/~npc/doc/euc00-sendmail.html
Similar experience with Erlang about 5 years ago :0)

Greetings, Bane.