On Feb 15, 2006, at 3:42 AM, Ketil Malde wrote:

Not sure how relevant this is, but I see there is a recently released
hash library here that might be a candidate for FFIing?

https://sourceforge.net/projects/goog-sparsehash/

The real issue isn't the algorithms involved; I saw the best performance from the stupidest hash algorithm (well, and switching to multiplicative hashing rather than mod-k). The problem is GC of hash table elements. FFI-ing this library would give us really good algorithms, but the GC would all indirect through the FFI and I'd expect that to make things *worse*, not better.

-Jan

| An extremely memory-efficient hash_map implementation. 2 bits/entry
| overhead! The SparseHash library contains several hash-map
| implementations, including implementations that optimize for space
| or speed.

-k