On Jun 21, 2006, at 3:30 PM, Brian Hulley wrote:

Joel Reymont wrote:
I think the issue wasn't using functional programming for large image
processing, it was using Haskell. OCaml is notoriously fast and
strict. Haskell/GHC is... lazy.

Everyone knows that laziness is supposed to be a virtue. In practice,
though, I'm one of the people who either can't wrap their heads
around it or just find themselves having to fight it from the start.

Perhaps laziness is more "foundational", in that you can write

     if2 c x y = if c then x else y

[snip some conversation...]

For those who haven't seen this already, here is a presentation by Simon PJ in which he discusses his views on laziness (among other things).

http://research.microsoft.com/~simonpj/papers/haskell-retrospective/ HaskellRetrospective.pdf

Takeaway point about laziness: "Laziness keeps you honest" by not allowing you to slip in side effects.

Bonus takeaway: read Wadler's papers :-)

Rob Dockins

Speak softly and drive a Sherman tank.
          -- TMBG