On 6/10/06, Robert Dockins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Saturday 10 June 2006 04:35 pm, Clifford Beshers wrote:
> The Wikipedia article on lambda abstractions
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambda_abstraction) has a statement that
> does not resonate with me:
>
>     A lambda abstraction is to a functional programming
>     <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Functional_programming> language such
>     as Scheme <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scheme_programming_language>
>     what pseudo-code <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudo-code> is to an
>     imperative programming
>     <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperative_programming> language.
>
> Does anyone else find this to be a peculiar statement?  If you think it
> is accurate, could you provide an alternate explanation and/or example
> to the one in the article?

I agree; The article is questionable at best.  I've never seen the term
"lambda abstraction" used in the way it is in the article.  I'd go so far as
to say it's downright wrong.

On a related note, is anyone willing to fix wikipedia's page on CPS?
While I don't think it's wrong per se, it confuses me and I *almost*
understand CPS.  I can only imagine what their explanation does to
someone who is new to the topic.  I'd fix it myself but I don't feel
that my understanding of CPS is strong enough to go mucking about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuation_passing_style

Thanks,
Jason