I'd just point out that I'm not aware of an operating system that GHC
runs on that doesn't accept '/' as a path separator.  It may be that
you could fine an OS where you could compile with jhc or run with hugs
that doesn't use '/' (e.g. MacOS 9), but support for MacOS 9 at this
stage I wouldn't consider a high priority.  Since noone ought to need
the path separator, and since they can currently assume '/' without
loss of portability, it seems like adding in an extra function to
protect us from the introduction of an operating system some time in
the future that doesn't allow '/' as a path separator is a bit
much.

Of course, I may be wrong.  Does windows disallow mixing of '/' and
'\\' as path separators?

That's fine, at the file system level. However some programs that are
layered on top of that, for example the copy command in the shell,
will bork on /. Also on Windows fundamentally \ is the separator, and
/ is a "second class" separator. When showing paths to the user, it
should always be \ because thats the one thats right (TM) for the
platform.

Thanks

Neil