Andrew Pimlott wrote:
> Maybe the trailing slash is important enough to take into account.

No, not the trailing slash.  The difference between a directory and its
contents is important enough.  This is ususally encoded using a trailing
slash, but I'd rather not worry about that detail in a program.

What does Emacs do with double separators?  I'm at a loss thinking of
anything they could denote, but it could be useful.

Udo.
--
"Guy Steele leads a small team of researchers in Burlington,
Massachusetts, who are taking on an _enormous_challenge_ -- create a