On Sat, 2006-08-12 at 03:52 +0200, Marc Weber wrote:
> 1.)
>       I know I can use
>               Build-Depends:   lib == <version>, lib2 < version, lib3 >=
> version
>       and so on.
>
>       Do you think it would be useful to introducue some notation to indicate
>       a "tested with" ?
>
>       Reason, purpose: I think its sometimes the case that a author/ mantainer
>       is quite busy with other projects and misses that some dependencies
>       break things.. If you want to try out you're left with some compiler
>       errors and a dependency and have to try out which version works.
>
>       I would propose using this syntax:
>               lib-1.3 >=1.1
>       to indicate that lib 1.1 is required at leeast and tested with up to
>       1.3.. Cabal might then give a warning if you try to use 1.4 or greater
>       "using newer version than tested" or similar..
>
>       What do you think?
>       Would this be useful?

Well there is actually already a "tested-with:" field that you can put
in a .cabal file, however at the moment it refers only to the Haskell
implementation, eg ghc-x.y, hugs-x.y etc not to versions of libraries.

Yes, I think it's a quite reasonable argument to extend this to include
exact versions of libraries that it has been tested with.

What do others think?

Duncan