Jared Updike wrote:
In other words, superscripts bind tighter than prefix ops but prefix
ops bind tighter than infix.

I see. My point is that there already exists a convention[1] that the
way to type in
       2
   -4
is -4^2 which means -(4^2) not (-4)^2 because - as a prefix op has the
same precedence as binary subtraction, not super tight like normal
prefix ops (i.e. normal function application) as you would like it to
be (if I understand correctly). You are welcome to break an existing
(unofficial) convention for the sake of lexical syntax[2].
[2] http://wadler.blogspot.com/2006/01/bikeshed-coloring.html

This choice of precedence for unary - conflicts with the normal usage in languages like C, where unary ops "obviously" bind tighter than infix.

The typesetting in maths conveys a lot of info eg to distinguish f -x from f - x or f-x, and so the relationship between the visual representation and the meaning depends on a knowledge of various conventions that have evolved over time, and the knowledge of when to apply them in a given context.

In contrast, a programming language should be based on general concepts uniformly applied. In Haskell we have operators, identifiers, prefix application using an identifier and infix application using a symbol, and a uniform way to convert a symbol to an identifier and vice versa, and a uniform way of forming sections.

All this machinery should be enough to be satisfied with. However, someone somewhere decided that one trivial arithmetic operation, namely unary minus, should be allowed to totally ruin everything, and not only that, but that half of any number line, the positives, should (literally!) have a special advantage over the other half, the negatives.

Thus while I can agree with Wadler that it's easy to have different opinions on "little" issues, I think that in this case the goal of uniformity leads to an objective answer.

Of course not all languages care about being uniform or neat ;-)

Best regards, Brian.
strive mightily unseen to destroy us.

http://www.metamilk.com