Bulat Ziganshin wrote:
we can also develop some ideas that will allow user to extend language
with imperative-friendly features. first, the problem is that Haskell
requires to exactly specify order of evaluation.
second, we need to be able to define new keywords together with using
layout statements in our constructs:
and last problem is what code to generate for break/continue (goto? :)
operation
I realize Mr. Ziganshin has much more experience with Haskell than I (I only became aware of Haskell in the last year and I'm still struggling with the more advanced corners of the language.) But I have to respectfully disagree with these suggestions. At no point have I wished that Haskell adopt more from the imperative programming world! Others have already shown how "foreach" can be written in a functional manner. I think it's more important that we (the new members of the Haskell community) learn the language rather than make the language more familiar to imperative programmers.

My exposure to Haskell (in its current form) motivated me to attend this year's ICFP conference. (I'm looking forward to attending the Haskell Workshop this Sunday.)

--
Rich