Does that explain how, why, or when you can use more arguments than
you are allowed to use?  Or is it just another example of "using more
arguments than you are allowed to use"?  Is this a Haskell 98 thing, or
is it related to MPTCs, or fun deps, or something else?

I don't understand "you can use more arguments than you are allowed to use".

I doubt the work in Faking It is Haskell 98 because I'm pretty sure it
uses MPTCs, fundeps and undecidable instances. I think it does a bit
to introduce these concepts too if you're unfamiliar with them.

Nick