Donald:
This doesn't mean what you think it means :) In particular,
theGlobalVariable isn't a global variable, its a function that creates a
new IORef, initialised to []. So you create two new iorefs, once in
modify1, and again in modify2.

Indeed, it's not what I thought it was at all!

Bulat:
you may be interested in looking at
http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/IO_inside

Thanks for the link.

Udo:
Whatever you're trying to do right now, just forget that there are
variables in BASIC and do it without mutable state.

Alrighty. But I'd like to set the record straight that it was C++
which screwed up my mind forever ;)

Donald:
Note that there's no need for any mutable variables here. If this isn't
suitable, perhaps you could elaborate a bit on what effect you're trying
to achieve?

Yes I've come to the same conclusion. Thanks for the help, it really helps :)

TJ