On 15/12/06, Scott Brickner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 Donald Bruce Stewart wrote:
 sdowney:

 i'm not naive enough to think they are the composition function, and
i've gathered it has something to do with free terms, but beyond that
i'm not sure. unless it also has something to do with fix points?

 The wiki knows all! :)

 http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Pointfree

 1 But pointfree has more points!

 A common misconception is that the 'points' of pointfree style are the (.)
 operator (function composition, as an ASCII symbol), which uses the same
 identifier as the decimal point. This is wrong. The term originated in
 topology, a branch of mathematics which works with spaces composed of
points,
 and functions between those spaces. So a 'points-free' definition of a
function
 is one which does not explicitly mention the points (values) of the space
on
 which the function acts. In Haskell, our 'space' is some type, and 'points'
are
 values.

 Hm. I've been lurking for a while, and this might be a bit of nit-picking
as my first post, especially given I'm still a bit of a n00b in Haskell.
I've been programming a long time, though - coming up on three decades now
and virtually all of it really programming, no management.

 Anyway, as I understood it, the "points" were the terminal objects of the
category in which you're working - in this case, pointed continuous partial
orders (CPO), and the points are effectively values in the domain. The usage
of "point" for terminal objects comes from the category of topological
spaces, as you say,. and algebraic topology is where category theory found
it's first big home - but that's not really what we're talking about here,
is it?

The point that the wiki article is trying to make is that the term
"points-free" was first used in the context of algebraic topology, and
generalised quickly from there. This may have even been before people
were making the generalisation from elements of a set with a topology
on it to maps from a terminal object to the space in question. It's a
bit of a coincidence that the theory which we're using to describe the
semantics of programs is topological in nature, the term would likely
have found use here without that.

- Cale