Hi Alan,

Usually, when I have a question like this, I try Hoogle first:
http://www.haskell.org/hoogle/?q=%28a+-%3E+b%29+-%3E+Maybe+a+-%3E+Maybe+b

Unfortunatly, the right answer (fmap) is on the second page of results.

The reason for this is that Hoogle 3 doesn't understand higher-kinded
type classes, i.e. Monad and Functor, which means that fmap doesn't
match as closely as it should do. Hoogle 4 would give fmap as the
first result, I'm pretty sure.

(I am really excited for the new version of Hoogle, its supposed to be
pretty close to release)

Me too, but you'll probably have to wait a few more months yet - but
the various components are coming together nicely.

Thanks

Neil