As a tip for anyone involved in writing and publishing scientific
materials on the web, unless the maths is either written without any
funny symbols or, better still, typeset in latex, it is not
accessible to a screen-reader.

I was under the impression that modern screen readers could pronounce
Unicode characters by looking up their name. I.e., your   would
get read as 'Non-breaking space' (perhaps a bad example, this one
wouldn't want to be read out due to its abuse as a layout tool, which
would make reading old pages very awkward).

I don't see how images are going to be much better? I suppose <math>
images do, on MediaWiki, have an alt text which is their LaTeX, but
I'd hate to have to have that read to me.

I think latex is the perfect solution to the problem. It is perhaps the only 100 percent accessible medium available right now. It doesn't require any special software to read. All it needs is a simple text editor.

Latex is a well-established tool/medium in the world-wide scientific community and therefore its inclusion in the Haskell wikibook or any other scientific document along with the unicode characters and image files would be potentially beneficial to everyone.
Paul

If you're interested in talking to the authors of the wikibook,
subscribe to the wikibook@haskell.org mailing list.

--
-David House, [EMAIL PROTECTED]