Just noticed a comment in

http://www.serpentine.com/blog/2007/02/27/a-haskell-regular-expression-tutorial/

which says there's no perl-like regex replace in the library, and links to

http://hpaste.org/697

which is an attempt at providing one.

Not sure if this is useful or not.

2007/3/7, Thomas Hartman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
Okay, so much for PCRE match.

Can someone show me give me pointers on PCRE replace?

Ideal would be something with all the =~ s/// semantics from perl.
(Not sure if this is included in Text.Regex.PCRE. is it?)

In other words, how to do this with (preferrably) Text.Regex.PCRE ?

Of course in this case a POSIX regex is fine, but since PCRE is faster
and more expressive, and what I'm used to anyway, PCRE is probably is
what I will tend to use by default, unless portability is paramount.

****************************
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~/learning/haskell/UnixTools$ cat lines.txt
a b c
a b c
a b c

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~/learning/haskell/UnixTools$ cat lines.txt |
perl -ne '$_ =~ s/(\w) (\w) (\w)/$1 z $3/; print $_'
a z c
a z c
a z c
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~/learning/haskell/UnixTools$