Dominic Steinitz wrote:

Any help would be appreciated.

I notice that there's not much user-accessible documentation of what you can expect GHC (or some other Haskell implementation) to do and not do with a given piece of code. For example, you have a lot of little definitions that clearly traverse the same lists many times. I've no idea where I would look, except for the compiler source, to get a sense for when, if ever, the compiler might apply CSE, fusion, or any other techniques that come to mind. So transmitting folk wisdom on what "the compiler" might do with any given piece of code counts as another half chapter in the "Practical Haskell" book that ought to get written :-)

        <b