On Apr 17, 2007, at 4:46 PM, David Brown wrote:

R Hayes wrote:

They *enjoy* debugging ...

I have to say this is one of the best things I've found for catching
bad programmers during interviews, no matter what kind of system it is
for.  I learned this the hard way after watching someone who never
really understood her program, but just kept thwacking at it with a
debugger until it at least partially worked.

I've seen this too, but I would not use the word debugging to describe it. I don't think I agree that enjoying debugging is a sufficient symptom for diagnosing this condition. There are many people that love the puzzle-box aspect of debugging. Some of them are very talented developers.

R Hayes
rfhayes<>@</>reillyhayes.com

Dave