Duncan Coutts wrote:
In my case, all I was actually trying to do was implement GHCi. (It's a good first test.) It took me a few hours, but I did in fact eventually get it to work. My plan was to make a program that's essentially GHCi, but accepts commands remotely via TCP.

You looked at the source to GHCi itself I presume? It uses the GHC API,
so it's a good place to start with building a variant of GHCi that uses
the GHC API :-)

No. Actually, as per the wiki, I was looking at the source code to the GHC API. (Apparently there isn't even any Haddock docs, despite the requisit comments existing in the source...)

I suppose I could have looked at the source for GHCi - but again I would imagine it's littered with error checking and other user-friendliness, rather than being written to be clearly readable by beginner hackers. ;-)

(Also... presumably I'd have to download some giant tarball and work out how to open it. And then find the source code for GHCi amoungst everything else.)