David House wrote:
Andrew Coppin writes:
> The only ones I managed to actually edit files with are Nano and Pico. > But given the choice, I'd *much* rather use KWrite. (Or Kate if I really > have to.)

Despite it exhibing virtually none of your own aforementioned IDE features?

KWrite and/or Kate are almost always installed when you play with somebody's Linux box. Emacs virtually never is.

Emacs may be hard to get used to, but its power makes it worth it. Give it a
fair try over a weekend or so, count the experience as gaining a life skill.

I've heard a lot of people say that learning Lisp will "make you a better programmer forever". Personally, I think Lisp is an ugly language... Much prefer Haskell. ;-)