On Tue, 2007-10-07 at 20:59 +0100, Andrew Coppin wrote:

> But it rambled on for, like, 3 pagefulls of completely opaque
> set-theoretic gibberish before I arrived at the (cryptically phrased)
> statements I presented above. Why it didn't just *say* that in the first
> place I have no idea...

Because the overwhelming majority of people who teach math know math
well, but do not know teaching well.  Sadly it would be better for all
but the highest levels of education to have that reversed.  My own
long-standing, deep distaste for the "chicken scratchings" of the pure
maths stems from incredibly smart teachers who had no idea how to
communicate what they knew to those not already there.

--
Michael T. Richter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> (GoogleTalk:
[EMAIL PROTECTED])