When advocating functional languages like Haskell, one of the claims I've tended to make is that referential transparency allows the language to be much more aggressive about things like common subexpression elimination (CSE) than traditional imperative languages (which need to worry about preserving proper side-effect sequencing).

But a recent example has left me thinking that maybe I've gone too far in my claims.

First, lets consider a simple consumer program, such as:

printEveryNth c l n  = do    print (c', x)
                             printEveryNth c' xs n
                       where c'   = c+n
                             x:xs = drop (n-1) l

Note that we can pass this function an infinite list, such as [1..], and it won't retain the whole list as it prints out every nth element of the list.

Now let's consider two possible infinite lists we might pass to our consumer function. We'll use a list of primes (inspired by the recent discussion of primes, but you can ignore the exact function being computed). Here's the first version:

primes = 2 : [x | x <- [3,5..], all (\p -> x `mod` p > 0) (factorsToTry x)]
    where
        factorsToTry x = takeWhile (\p -> p*p <= x) primes

As you might expect, at the point where we print the nth prime from our infinite list, we will be retaining a list that requires O(n) space.

But this simple modification allows us to use only O(sqrt(n)) space at the point we print the nth prime:

primes =
    2 : [x | x <- [3,5..], all (\p -> x `mod` p > 0) (factorsToTry x)]
    where
        slowerPrimes =
2 : [x | x <- [3,5..], all (\p -> x `mod` p > 0) (factorsToTry x)]
        factorsToTry x = takeWhile (\p -> p*p <= x) slowerPrimes

Notice the gigantic common subexpression -- both primes and slowerPrimes define exactly the same list, but at the point where we're examining the nth element of primes, we'll only have advanced to the sqrt(n)th element of slowerPrimes.

Clearly, "simplifying" the second version of primes into the first by performing CSE actually makes the code much *worse*. This "CSE- makes-it-worse" property strikes me as "interesting".

So, is it "interesting"...? Has anyone worked on characterizing CSE space leaks (and avoiding CSE in those cases)? FWIW, it looks like others have run into the same problem, since bug #947 in GHC (from October 2006) seems to be along similar lines.

    Melissa.

P.S. These issues do make massive difference in practice. There is a huge difference between taking O(n) and O(sqrt(n)) space -- the difference between a couple of megabytes for the heap and tens or hundreds of megabytes.