Ok,

I am guessing that if you were Neo in The Matrix, you would have taken the Blue Pill. Blue Pill people ask How.

I suspect most people attracted to Haskell have already taken the Red Pill. Red Pill people ask Why.

It is compulsion, not self-interest, that drives Red Pill people to look under the hood of their programming language. If you are a Blue Pill person, you will never understand. If you were a Red Pill person, you would never have written the following paragraph.

ok wrote:
If you've read the Science of Discworld books you will be familiar with the
phrase 'lies-to-children'.  You DON'T tell them the full truth, because it
would take a long time, confuse the marrow out of their bones, and leave
them feeling this was masturbatory mathematics, not real programming,
having no connection with real world interests.

Your students can choose for themselves whether to take the Blue Pill or Red Pill. The least you can do is offer them the choice.

Dan