On Aug 23, 2007, at 3:34 , Rich Neswold wrote:

On 8/22/07, Ian Lynagh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Wed, Aug 22, 2007 at 01:27:00PM -0500, Rich Neswold wrote:

> > newtype App a = App (ReaderT Connection (CGIT IO) a)
> >    deriving (Monad, MonadIO, MonadReader Connection)
>
> Unfortunately, when another module tries to actually use the monad, I > get warnings about "No instance for (MonadCGI App)". I tried making an
> instance:
>
> > instance MonadCGI App where
> >     cgiAddHeader = ?
> >     cgiGet = ?

You have three choices:

1:

2:

3:
Provide a single instance for App that does the whole thing:
instance MonadCGI App where
    cgiAddHeader n v = App $ lift $ cgiAddHeader n v
    cgiGet x = App $ lift $ cgiGet x
This one you would obviously have to change if you added a StateT.

Bingo! Method #3 works beautifully! I missed the using-lift-with- the-constructor permutation.

Thanks for your help!

I started writing a tutorial for Haskell web programming with the cgi package a while back, but haven't worked on it for a while, see http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Practical_web_programming_in_Haskell I haven't added it to the list of tutorials yet, since it's still rather incomplete.

The section on using CGIT is just a stub, perhaps you would like to contribute to it? See http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/ Practical_web_programming_in_Haskell#Extending_the_CGI_monad_with_monad_ transformers