Andrea Rossato wrote:

Most likely, the content of s sits in a local buffer and never leaves this process, following most OS conventions and as others point out. Another process waiting for it will deadlock.

Yes, I knew it was something related to the underneath OS. I'll have
to study Unix seriously....

Your problem may be buffering-related (I haven't read your code to check), but if so, there's a fair likelihood that it has nothing to do with the OS. GHC's runtime does its own buffer management on Handles. It's quite possible that your deadlock lies at that level, rather than anything lower. Are you calling hFlush after writing to your pipe?

        <b