On Oct 14, 2007, at 23:13 , Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:

(5) Precisely because it seeks generality, category theory seems
    difficult to "concrete thinkers".  And books on category theory
tend to be extremely fast-paced, so ideas which are not in themselves
    particularly esoteric (which may in fact be eminently practical)
    tend to be presented in a way which people trying to study by
    themselves have trouble with.  So people can be scared off by
    what _ought_ to be a big help to them.

I would really like to see "category theory for the working *non*mathematician". I have essentially zero formal programming/CS- theory or mathematical training, and while sucking knowledge up like a sponge is often a good thing (especially for me as a practicing sysadmin), it does leave me at a bit of a disadvantage when you start maximally generalizing everything in sight at me, especially when you do so in esoteric mathematical language that leaves me going "buh?"

--
brandon s. allbery [solaris,freebsd,perl,pugs,haskell] [EMAIL PROTECTED]
system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] [EMAIL PROTECTED]