Magnus Therning wrote:

 “Rubygems is source-intrusive. The require instruction is replaced by a
 require_gem instruction to allow for versioned dependencies. Debian and
 most other systems think that dealing with versioned dependencies
 outside of the source is a better idea.”

To drag the conversation reluctantly back to Haskell: I comaintain all of the Haskell packages for Fedora, one of the biggest Linux distributions. I also wrote cabal-rpm, which automates the task of turning a Cabal package into an RPM. I also use Debian and MacPorts.

On none of these platforms do we have a Cabal-versus-native-package-manager problem. It simply doesn't occur. All of the needed interactions and scripting that I've come across are already provided for by Cabal. When we've had problems, it's been easy to write patches, and to have them accepted.

Thanks for not perpetuating the discussion,

        <b