I'm not 100% sure, but I think hsplugins can dynamically load compiled *.o files in this way.
Correct.

Not sure whether this requires the person running the main program to have GHC installed though.
Yes, it does.

Thanks && ciao,
Leif

Unlike Java, there's no reflection capabilities. This isn't too bad though; just write your own class definition to allow your main program to query the thing it just loaded and find out what it offers.

 class Describable d where
   available_functions :: d -> [FunctionInfo]

data FunctionInfo = FunctionInfo {name :: String, description :: String, ...}

Unlike general reflection (where you try to guess things from function names and so on), this can be taylored to exactly the kind of plugins you're trying to write.