Bit Connor wrote:
I was new to haskell when I made this program and when I ran the
program for this first time I was expecting to experience a long pause
and then a display of the final image. I was very surprised to see
progressive rendering!

Neat, isn't it? :-)

On the other hand, if you do something like sort a list, you cannot see the first element of the result until the entire unsorted list has been computed... which can take a heck of a long time, depending on what the computation is. And since it's all calls to map and filter et al., it's not immediately clear how to provide any feedback on how much longer there is to wait.

It seems unsafePerformIO is the way to go here.

(BTW, what's the difference between unsafePerformIO and unsafeInterleaveIO?)