[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Andrew Coppin writes:
Dan Weston wrote:
[...] and facilitates "borrow-from-the-future" techniques where useful with infinite data structures or recursive algorithms.

And this, gentlemen, is just one of the reasons why Haskell gets labelled as "scary". It's very hard to explain what this enigmatic riddle-like statement actually *means* without a very long exposition. (Heck, *I* haven't worked out how to "borrow from the future" yet...)

Scary - schmary...
If you want to be afraid of, say, Santa Claus, that's OK, you are a free
man. But, perhaps before saying that you haven't worked out something,
*try* to work it out.

Oh, I didn't mean *I* am scared of Haskell - I think Haskell is great! :-D I meant that other people perceive it as scary. And "infinite data structures" and "borrowing from the future" are two examples of things that scare them.

And, relatedly, I said I hadn't worked out the latter yet. It doesn't "scare" me - I'm more curios than scared. ;-) I believe I did ask about it here once, but didn't get much of a clear answer.

Read something about Richard Bird's circular programs. A nice Web article
(Lloyd Allison) is here:
http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~lloyd/tildeFP/1989SPE/
A really complicated application by Janis Voigtländer
http://wwwtcs.inf.tu-dresden.de/~voigt/HOSC.pdf
will probably kill you, so don't. But The Web is full of articles. You can
even read one or two of my own productions.
I - sorry for shameless auto-ad - cited this paper *twice*, once it was
after *your* similar statement...
http://users.info.unicaen.fr/~karczma/arpap/lazypi.pdf
It is called "The Most Unreliable Technique in the World to Compute PI",
and it has been written explicitly for fun and instruction. That's
a possible answer to your dilemma.
Another one shows something even worse than borrowing from the future,
namely "going backwards in time", applied to the Automatic Differentiation
in Reverse Mode.
http://users.info.unicaen.fr/~karczma/arpap/revpearl.pdf

Should give me something interesting to read for a while...

And, please, avoid saying that something is scary or difficult, unless
you are really sure.

Like I said, I think you're just misunderstanding what I'm trying to say, that's all.