Jules Bean wrote:

Peter Padawitz wrote:

Functional dependencies don't work in my case. Actually, I don't see why they should.

Ah well, it's cruel to say that without explaining to us why!

Cause I don't see why the instantiation conflicts pointed out by others would vanish then.

I'm not sure why a complete cyclic dep a -> b -> c -> d -> a isn't what you want.

What seems to be needed here is a type class construct with a kind of record parameter so that instance conflicts cannot occur.

I'm not entirely sure what you intend to mean by this, but if you mean what I guess you mean:

class Java (a,b,c,d) where ....

Yeah... but ghc accepts only type variables here, not arbitrary polymorphic types.