On 2008.01.21 19:12:26 +0100, Cetin Sert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> scribbled 1.9K
characters:
>    1) Can anyone tell me how I can build Yi or point me to a binary release
> of that editor?
>
>    I tried to follow the instructions on
> http://www.nobugs.org/developer/yi/building.html but got
>    a missing component error each time.

The specific error would help a lot. Also, yi-devel might be a good list to
subscribe to.

>    2) When if ever is Data.ByteString going to be the default string
> representation in GHC?

Not sure. I once asked about this, and it seems that ByteStrings don't support
all the operations and definitions [Char] does; and there was mention of
Unicode problems. Plus, ByteStrings aren't really built-in - they're a separate
library. You could perhaps suggest that [Char] could be often optimized into
ByteString operations but then ByteStrings need to either lose their library
status and be incorporated into GHC or you need to expand the list of depended
libraries... I wouldn't look for't anytime soon.

>    I study computational linguistics and plan to switch to Haskell in the
> near future, that is
>    once I get to grips with the language and the whole new thought model one
> has to develop as an
>    imperative programmer.

Well, you're not the first computational linguist. There are some pretty
impressive projects in Haskell.

--
gwern
argus ARPA garbage Internet Halliburton Corporation SASP disruptio Egret SLBM