On Jan 27, 2008, at 11:05 PM, Dipankar Ray wrote:

thanks for the correction - very informative! that'll teach me to just go to the opencourseware site at MIT only...

On that note, I'll point out that many (roughly half?) the undergraduate CS majors at MIT do a 5 year combined bachelor's / master's program. Many of them take the graduate programming languages course (6.821), which has good coverage of semantics and type inference.

That said, there's a good deal of skepticism about functional programming among many MIT faculty members just as there is at Berkeley. If you want to hear an entertaining story some day, ask me in person about my Ph.D. thesis defense.

-Jan-Willem Maessen