On Apr 3, 2008, at 10:41 AM, Luke Palmer wrote:
On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 9:58 AM, Ben Lippmeier <[EMAIL PROTECTED] > wrote:
Questions:
1) Could I perhaps wave my arms around and say something about the Int in the type of isEven being in a contra-variant position? Is this what is
actually happening?, and can someone point me to a good paper?

This is related to "gradual typing".  I don't know how much work has
been done into inference for gradual typing, but I'll bet you could
hack on the HM algorithm a little and get something usable.

Here's a relevant paper:
http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~siek/pubs/pubs/2006/siek06:_gradual.pdf

Yeah, there is work on inference for gradual types:

http://www.cs.colorado.edu/department/publications/reports/docs/CU-CS-1039-08.pdf

Aaron