On 2008 May 10, at 18:56, PR Stanley wrote:

       Paul: Hi folks

       data Maybe a = Nothing | Just a

What is the underlying rationale for the Maybe data type? is it the
safe style of programming it encourages/
Something tells me this is going to start a lengthy discussion. :-)

Bob: Pure and simple -- it allows you to represent partial functions. Looking up a map will only sometimes find a value, so we either return
Nothing, or Just that value.

       Paul: Would yu like to demonstrate this in an example?

Um, I was encountering and recognizing times when I really needed an out-of-band "null", and the pain of representing such in C, shortly after I started serious programming in C (call it 1984-5). Is this really difficult?

--
brandon s. allbery [solaris,freebsd,perl,pugs,haskell] [EMAIL PROTECTED]
system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] [EMAIL PROTECTED]