On 2008 May 13, at 0:26, J C wrote:

On the other hand, if the experts can't help using malloc, unsafe*,
global mutables and IO, I'll be able to conclude that this is probably
what it takes to make Haskell run fast :-(

Very few of the shootout entries have been revisited since most of the improvements to list and stream fusion, etc. in GHC, if I can trust the amount of discussion of shootout entries I've seen on IRC. Some of them are still vintage 6.4.2, which had very little in the way of compiler smarts so hand optimization was crucial. 6.8.2, on the other hand, does much better all by itself as long as you don't e.g. use lists in stupid ways.

--
brandon s. allbery [solaris,freebsd,perl,pugs,haskell] [EMAIL PROTECTED]
system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] [EMAIL PROTECTED]