Andrew Coppin wrote:
2. Does anybody know how to actually read GHC's Core output anyway? To me, it looks almost exactly like very, very complicated Haskell source with a suspicious concentration of case expressions - but I understand that in the Core language, many constructs actually mean something quite different.

I can read most of GHC Core. I was never taught, and I never asked. I did not read GHC's source code. I just guessed.

I agree with your assessment about the domination by case expressions. They spell out the evaluation order. You need truckloads of them.

I slightly agree with your assessment about "complicated", but I call it detailed and tedious. This is an assembly language for functional programming. If it weren't detailed and tedious, it would have no right to exist.