On 02/06/2008, at 5:26 AM, Don Stewart wrote:

pieter:
Yes, it is entirely possible to statically link entire CGI apps.

You might want to watch out for a bug in GHC 6.8.2 that means GHC's "- static" flag doesn't work. (At least for me, at least on Debian: the "- lpthread" flag is passed before the "-lrt" one, and symbols are left unresolved as a result.) Apparently the near-to-release 6.8.3 will fix this issue.

Presumably dons is using a more recent GHC than 6.8.2, or other (BSD?) platforms are not affected.

Note also you may have to tweak sundry .cabal files to add "extra- libraries" fields. As an example, I added this to HSQL's PostgreSQL backend to get it to statically link:

extra-libraries: pq, crypt, pthread

(If anyone cares you need to build PostgreSQL without kerberos as that doesn't seem to statically link any more.)

cheers
peter

--
http://peteg.org/