On Jun 17, 2008, at 11:53 AM, Hugo Pacheco wrote:
Hi all,

There is something about polymorphic tests in QuickCheck that I do not understand.

If you write the simplest dummy test function

tst :: a -> Bool
tst _ = True

and evaluate it we get

> verboseCheck tst
0:
()
1:
()

How come did the polymorphic value a get instanciated to ()? Is this done via the Testable type class? Could someone please explain this to me? I'm not saying it does not make sense, but I would like to understand how it works. Being possible to change this behavior, this is, assign another "default type" whenever polymorphic types occur, would be awesome.

I think it is GHCi that is instantiating the type with (). Try compiling the program, it will probably be rejected by the compiler when you do not specify a concrete type.

You can, for example, try this:

verboseCheck (tst :: [Int] -> Bool)

Cheers,
hugo