On 2008 Aug 28, at 13:21, Tim Newsham wrote:
GNU ld supports "pragmas" which cause the use of certain functions to output warnings at link time (try compiling a C program that uses gets()). It occurs to me that this, either in compiler or linker, would be a nice thing for ghc to do when using fromJust or other partial functions.

would you include all partial functions in this, such as head?

I'd like to, but IMO head is a little more acceptable because lists aren't binary like Maybe. fromJust really is the Haskell equivalent of dereferencing a pointer without checking if it's NULL, aside from being more reliably detectable.

--
brandon s. allbery [solaris,freebsd,perl,pugs,haskell] [EMAIL PROTECTED]
system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] [EMAIL PROTECTED]