On 2008 Aug 28, at 17:01, John Meacham wrote:
On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 09:00:41AM +0100, Lennart Augustsson wrote:
I'm certain you can write a kernel in Haskell where the only use of
global variables is those that hardware interfacing forces you to use.

OS provided one? What if you have an exokernel, where it is expected
these things _will_ be implemented in the userspace code. why shouldn't
that part of the exokernel be written in haskell?

What's stopping it? Just wrap it in a state-carrying monad representing a context. That way you can also keep multiple contexts if necessary (and I think it is often necessary, or at least desirable, with most exokernel clients).

--
brandon s. allbery [solaris,freebsd,perl,pugs,haskell] [EMAIL PROTECTED]
system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] [EMAIL PROTECTED]