(...)
    But I do want it to be built (so Setup will
    check dependencies, allow me to './Setup clean'
    etc.). However, I would like './Setup install'
    to install just the main library.

Just in case my response to you (in a previous thread that you started) wasn't clear, EMGM also provides an example of this feature. See the Cabal configuration file. (...)

Sure, I read that. But my idea was to get something
with build-time flags, not configure-time flags. But
I think that was a begginer mistake. Your way seems
to be the standard way of doing that. That's what
I'm going to do.

Thanks,
MaurĂ­cio