On 27/11/2008, at 8:35 AM, Andrew Coppin wrote:

Jake McArthur wrote:
Andrew Coppin wrote:
Don Stewart wrote:
Noteworthy,
              * lhc-20081121: “Lhc Haskell Compiler”

Interesting. I can't find out any information about this...

It is a fork of the JHC compiler, which should be easier to look up. There is also Hugs, as you mentioned. In addition, you may want to look at YHC and NHC.

Yeah, the "implementations" page on the Wiki basically says that there's GHC and Hugs, and there's also these things called YHC, NHC and JHC. All the documentation I've read makes these latter compilers sound highly experimental and unusable. (I don't recall specifically which of them, but I remember hearing it can't even compile the Prelude yet.) They seem like small projects which are probably interesting to hack with, but not much use if you're trying to produce production-grade compiled code to give to a customer...

OTOH, I haven't ever attempted to *use* any of these compilers. I only read about them...

Don't forget hbc.

There's plenty of information about all the compilers in the history of haskell paper, including a timeline:

http://research.microsoft.com/users/simonpj/papers/history-of-haskell/index.htm

Cheers,