John Van Enk wrote:
I want to group them with Network functions because traditionally these specific functions *are* in networking packages.

I agree. It is true that these functions are in the <arpa/inet.h> header on my machine. The ntoh* and hton* are just data manipulation, just as Network.URI is all about constructing and manipulating URI data.

The question I think we should answer is: Do we wish to follow the precedent of putting URI under Network and not Data?

Pragmatically, programmers will expect to find these functions near the 'net
ones.

A "network-byteorder" package which has the "Network.ByteOrder" module is the most flexible thing to create. It can be updated and reinstalled independently of the "network" package.

On *nix systems, the prototypes reside in <netinet/in.h>. On Windows they reside in <winsock2.h> and one must link against libws2_32.

The package I have locally supports all platforms. It just does a foreign import of the function (and uses a preprocessor definition to pick the calling convention).

One could make an argument to add these sorts of functions to Word and Int packages.

/jve