Both wikipedia and hackage rdtsc packages have lot of
warnings regarding things I'm not able to control. It
seems it doesn't work with many platforms, be it older
or multi-core, hibernating computers.

yes, i mean this lib but forget its name :) thank you

Don't know if it might help but:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RDTSC
cabal install rdtsc
http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/rdtsc/1.1.1/doc/html/System-CPUTime-Rdtsc.html
 >  >> computer has been turned on would do all I need. Or,
 >> maybe, how much has elapsed since the program started.
i think you should look into system counters (if you on windows). for
 example, task managet in vista shows time since reboot, i think that
 in registry it should be available in previous windowses too. at the
 cpu level, there is cpu ticks counter, it should be readable via
 special libraries