patients, I wanted to be sure not to save wrong
information. It wouldn't matter if the clock is
saying we are on XVII century, as long as 10 seconds
would never be 10.1.

What are the interval durations you need to measure?
Since they are from equipment, what is the spec?

I read from serial port. When the equipment was
available for testing, we measured the output to
be a few thowsand bytes/second. The program is
supposed to run in Windows computers at physicians
offices (and their only requirement is to be able
to run windows and have a serial port). Errors of
1 byte per second would be acceptable, even if they
accumulate.

I have no equipment specs and, right now, no
equipment to test. (Yes, I know this is crazy.) So,
I need to know what kind of problems I may expect,
so I'm able to deal with them.

Thanks,
MaurĂ­cio